Monday, June 1, 2015

Week 10 in San Fernando: His Will, Not Mine


Hey guys! We've hit June, which means I'm a month and 16 days from hitting a year in the mission. I can't believe it. Neither can I begin to grasp the concept of turning 20 on the 12th of June. Talk about mind blown! My life has changed so many times since I put the tag on and caught a plane down to Argentina. I'm not going to come back as I left. But I am going to come back more "Mallory Dickson" than ever. Here in the mission I've been given the chance to find out more of who I am. Of who I can be. I have learned and am learning, that it is HIS will, not mine.

At the Capilla Abierta (Open House)




Martes: Helaman 11:13 "O Lord, wilt thou hearken unto me, and cause that it may be done according to  my words, and send forth rain upon the face of the earth, that she may bring forth her fruit, and her grain in the season of grain."

After writing you guys in the morning we went off to pick up lunch. It had already started pouring. The entire day it rained off and on. However, in spite of the rain and the cold we had both Genesis and Matias Mansilla accompany us throughout the day, Genesis in the afternoon and Matias in the evening. We were able to check up on Fermina and her progress,and teach Leo about the priesthood and prophets. The greatest moment of the day was hearing Matias state the first vision from memory. We had invited him to do so the last time he had accompanied us, and without even a reminder from us he told us that he had learned it from memory. As he recited it the spirit was present. Both Hermana Riquelme and I were so proud of him. He's going to be a great missionary.
 Later that night we went to contact a referral from Elder Stout, one of the assistants. It was a referral he had received two years earlier, and had just found it. It turns out that the man, Coco, had moved. We went to his work, and there we were actually able to meet him. He was very nice, and told us that he had actually moved to Victoria. We were shocked as he told us his new address, as it just happened to be in Elder Stout's current area! We were so excited to be able to call him and tell him the new address. We knew that it wasn't coincidence.


Miercoles: Alma 17:17 "Therefore they separated themselves one from another and went forth among them, every man alone, according to the word and power of God which was given unto him."

The morning was going well until about 10am. We were in the middle of our companionship studies when I felt really sick. Sick enough that I had to go lay down. I had my eyes closed and was trying to not focus on the pain when my companion came in the room. She told me that it was 10:30, and gently asked me if I felt up to going to the district meeting. I really wasn't sure. I wanted to go, badly, but I didn't think my body was up to it. I told her I'd let her know if I felt up to going. She nodded and grabbed the general conference of the Liahona before sitting down on the ground by my bed, keeping me company. As I laid there I said a prayer, asking if I should get up and go, or if I needed to rest. As I did so I didn't receive an answer in form of a feeling or impression, but the pain left. I took that as an answer, and off we went, a little late, but on our way. I didn't feel well during the meeting, but managed to learn from the spirit anyway.Something particular that was said really stuck out to me. It was a comment from Elder Roberts, one of our zone leaders. He said: Ïn the end the most successful missionaries aren't the most eloquent; but, rather, those who teach simply." The comment really struck both my companion and I. And it's true. The most powerful missionaries rely completely on the spirit. Many times I think we rely far too much on ourselves and our limited capabilities.

After the meeting we headed into the offices to say hi to Elder and Hermana Lines. I still wasn't feeling well. My companion talked to Elder Lines and mentioned that I needed a blessing. I wasn't going to ask for one, as I felt abashed after already receiving 2 health blessings here in San Fernando during my time serving here. However, my companion, lovingly and sternly, took matters into her own hands and told Elder Lines that I needed a blessing. Elder Lines instantly asked Elder Roberts and Elder Bonilla if they would help with the blessing. They agreed and we went into a side office, where I took a seat in the middle. Elder Lines and Elder Roberts helped with the blessing. It was given in English, a rare treat. As they spoke I could feel the spirit, and although I still felt physically weak after the blessing I felt spiritually strengthened. It was a powerful experience. More than anything was what my companion shared with me afterwards. She told me that I never needed to be embarrassed or shy about asking for a blessing. She told me that the priesthood was on the earth for this purpose, so that it could be exercised. She told me that I had the right to ask for a blessing whenever I needed one. It really stood out to me, and I'm never going to forget this lesson learned.

Later in the evening we went on splits with two youth from the ward. We were able to teach nine lessons with them in two hours and find three new investigators! However, more than that was the blessing of seeing the two of them growing and gaining more confidence in their ability to share the gospel with others:)

Jueves: Doctrine and Covenants 135:3

We got to watch the Joseph Smith video with Lilian! It was so great to see her! She actually gave us each a bracelet, thanking us for all that we had done for her.

The wonderful gifts from Lilian: beautiful bracelets!

She is just too fantastic.

 Later in the evening we were able to teach Fermina. We had an appointment with her in the church at 6:30. My companion and I were actually a little late, and weren't sure if she was actually going to make it. However, as we entered we saw her sitting down in a chair waiting for Us! We were able to teach her the Restoration. As I was sharing the first vision of Joseph Smith she interrupted me to say that she already believed that it was true. We are working with such prepared people here in San Fernando right now!
I'm working on a gift for Lilian:



Viernes: 1 Nephi 3:7 " And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." and 1 Nephi 3:15 "But behold I said unto them that: As the Lord liveth, and as we live, we will not go down unto our father in the wilderness until we have accomplished the thing which the Lord hath commanded us."


Paula's 14th birthday! (One of the assistants' recent converts). We were able to help out with the party in the evening. We gave her as a gift a necklace with a quarter and a peso, to represent the two of us, Hermana Dickson and Riquelme:) Upon entering the church we ran into Elder Fabila and Elder Stout. Elder Stout asked me where my Capilla Abierta tag was, the tag we should be wearing until our Capilla Abierta, or open chapel, this upcoming Saturday. I told him I couldn't find it. He thanked my companion for having hers and jokingly thanked her for being obedient, giving her a fist bump. Elder Fabila had lost his as well. Upon noticing such I joking said: "Go rebels!" and gave him a fist bump. He seemed to think it was pretty funny, and the scriptures for today sum up the rebels and the obedient;) Enjoy!

Sabado: 2 Nephi 26:25 "Behold, doth he cry unto any, saying: Depart from me? Behold, I say unto you, Nay; but he saith: Come unto me all ye ends of the earth, buy milk and honey, without money and without price."


Saturday mostly consisted of helping out in Don Torcuato, a different area in our zone. We were helping with their Capilla Abierta. It was great to be able to teach many members, less actives, and people who aren't members about the church and the things that we believe:)
Also, Lilian was able to go into the temple!! I can't begin to describe how happy my comp and I were for her!

Domingo:

We had all sorts of miracles come to church! We went for Leo, (what an adventure. We had called him in the morning to wake him up before we walked over to pick him up but no one had answered. We went to his house anyway and tried calling and ringing the doorbell, but to no avail. It was about 8:45 and it takes 15 minutes to walk to the church from there, so my companion said we should start heading over. I knew that she was right, but felt like we needed to wait. While I was saying a quick prayer to know what to do, someone answered the door. We were able to wake Leo up, and get to church at 9:15, walking in the doors just as the sacrament was being passed. God truly is within even the DETAILS of our lives.) and saw Fermina present (she had come by herself once more!) as well as Lilian (she had also came alone as Zulma was unable to attend)! We also saw the Poma family, less actives that haven't come for months! It was an awesome Sunday.

All I can say is that God was present this week, as He is in every week, when we take the time to look for His hand.  

This upcoming week, take the time to look for it!

Hermana Dickson

No comments:

Post a Comment