Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Alma 22:18 "(S)he was struck as if (s)he were dead"

Hey guys! Where to even begin? This week has consisted of receiving and overcoming a great trial. Everything was peaceful on Monday. We visited and taught as usual. On Tuesday morning when I got up I felt a little ill, but wasn't too worried about it. My companion and I got ourselves ready and headed over to our District Meeting. It was a very spiritual experience. We learned about the importance of the Holy Ghost and the Book of Mormon. To finish up the meeting we did practices. I always get a little nervous beforehand, but things always work out as the spirit takes over. After a successful meeting my companion and I took the train to eat lunch with a sister in the ward. As we were heading over I started to feel a little worse. While eating lunch I didn't think I was going to make it. On the train ride back I told my companion that we needed to stop by the house, as I felt awful. Usually when ill I sleep for a couple hours and then I'm fine. I figured this would be the same. However, when I woke up a couple hours later I knew that was Not the case.

With the mission president


I woke up with a pounding headache and couldn't trust myself to get out of bed. I had a barking cough and I felt like tossing cookies. I couldn't even get out of bed to go downstairs and let in the mission nurse and her companion, who were bringing me medication. I couldn't sleep the entire night, and the next morning felt a little bit better, although still miserable. I managed to get myself over to the church to receive a blessing from the zone leaders. After picking up our lunch from the Chavez family we went straight back to the house, where I ate and got back into bed, hoping that I'd be able to sleep. Nope...

The next morning we headed over to the hospital to figure out What I had. At this point it had to be more than your common flu. We took the train to Olivos and then walked 20 blocks to get to the hospital... I think I almost didn't make it. Once there I was told that I had faringitis. I obviously didn't have any idea what that meant.... I looked over at Hermana Bekaouche, who said under her breath that this was the worst thing I could have. She has such a way of making me feel better.... We then went to lunch, as it was on the way home and my companion needed to eat, even if I had no desires to do so. From there we went to see Lilian and Zulma. While my companion was teaching them I was dying on the couch. Using my jacket as a blanket, I took the chance to rest and yet enjoy human company after being inside for so long. When my companion was done sharing Zulma called a taxi to take us home. I was sent straight back to the bed. Lilian had gone with my comp to buy my antibiotics (what an angel). 
Jorge Luis saving the day:

Then my companion started feeling sick. Not with faringitis, or larangytis, but with her gastritus. She was stuck in bed all day as well. I read for a long time in the Book of Mormon, catching myself up until I was at Moroni 10, the last chapter in the Book of Mormon. The chapter that we would be reading as a mission the next day. I didn't know if we were going to make it. After reading I watched a church movie, one that had always "put me to sleep" before. No luck. As it got later and later and my companion didn't improve I started to feel incredibly alone. I didn't know what to do. I wasn't well enough to take care of myself, let alone my companion. 
the cure all: lemons and honey

In this moment I couldn't keep the tears from coming. I felt sick, tired, and alone. Abandoned. As I cried I prayed. I prayed with all my might. I pleaded with the Lord. I thought of the atonement of Jesus Christ. I don't know how much time I spent crying, but I do know that I was never alone. The Savior was right there beside me, wiping away every tear. Taking hold of every burden I just couldn't bear to hold any more. 

The moment that seemed like an eternity passed. My companion improved and was able to help me calm down, eat something, and get back in bed. How I hated the thought of getting back in that cursed bed. But in I went, and this time I slept for the first time in 2 days. It was such a heavenly experience. The calm after the storm. 

The next morning the medicine had finally taken effect. We were able to go to the mission activity and finish the Book of Mormon. What a beautiful moment! The spirit was incredibly strong, and even though I felt very weak physically I felt such peace and such strength spiritually, the opposite of what I had felt the day before. I was blessed to see Hermana Yancey and Hermana Riquelme, my hijas, and get a picture with the three of them. The Dickson family together at last;) We went home directly after, as I still wasn't doing well. This time, however, I was able to sleep! What sweet relief! 
Mis hijas :)


Saturday, after resting for most of the morning we went out to see the Galarza family. They were passing through a tough moment, as Franz had just gotten the car taken away.... However, while visiting with the family we were able to talk with Ruth, one of their neighbors. We had been talking to her about the Book of Mormon and had brought her a copy. I wasn't feeling too well and didn't really have a voice, but found myself jumping into the conversation when Ruth started bringing up the Bible and my comp looked at me with panic in her eyes. It felt so good to teach again after almost a week stuck in the house! I think we can easily say it was one of the highlights of the week.
La Familia Galarza


On Sunday I finally started feeling a little better and we were able to stay for all three hours of church.

Yesterday we were able to go out for almost the entire day! What a huge blessing, something I definitely took for granted before. 

For all of you that are serving missions, please be grateful for every day outside, for every chance to share the gospel, for every chance to leave the bed, or the house, and to do what we do best: teach of Christ! I love this gospel. I have been incredibly blessed. Was this week tough? Better believe it. Did I learn a LOT? Without a doubt. 

Now, I'll be staying in San Fernando this new transfer with Hermana Bekaouche, finishing up her training. However, we also have the Hermana Green staying with us now! She's from Park Valley Utah and has 5 months in the mission. This means I'll have spent 6 months of my mission in San Fernando when all is said and done! Crazy! 
 Introducing Hermana Green: 

Love all of you! Take care!
La Hermana Dickson

No comments:

Post a Comment